Monday, September 9, 2013

A Familiar Fate by Hope McLaren


Release Date:  June 19, 2013
Publisher:  Hope McLaren (Kindle), CreateSpace Independent Publishing (Paperback)

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Synopsis:
Violet Evans is not the typical sixteen year-old girl. She's an orphan who lives with a foster mom who rarely gives the poor girl a second thought. As questions about her past begin to swirl within her own mind, Violet also experiences strange, lifelike dreams that often leave her with questionable tastes in her mouth and many more questions about herself than before.

A series of events leads Violet to discover that the past she had been told by her foster mom was all a lie. One by one, she finds out the truths of who she is, where she belongs and what is expected of her. Will she buckle under the pressure? Will she be able to free herself from the ties of her past?

Review:
Although I'm still new to the realm of Paranormal YA books, I found myself enjoying this one from the start. Immediately I was drawn into Violet's world and experiencing her emotions. All the confusion and anger at the foster mom for the treatment and then betrayal when secrets were discovered. There were a few times that I forgot Violet was only a teenager because she acted more like an adult than some of the adults in the story. However, I feel that the way in which she grew up made her more adult-like than a regular teen should be.

The story moved in a very comfortable pace. It wasn't so slow that my interest was lost nor was it too fast that I had to backtrack to figure out what was happening. I again felt what the character was feeling when things did get overwhelming for her in a short span of time. With the way the story moved, it seemed as a natural progression of events. I could honestly believe that those things took place as they did.

This book is the author's debut novel, setting things up for an eventual series of books involving the characters and world created. I am looking forward to the next book as I want to see how a few of the characters have dealt with the way things unfolded within the present book. Overall, I truly liked this story and would very much love to give it 4.5 stars.

A Familiar Fate by Hope McLaren is currently available in both paperback and Kindle forms. They can be purchased at Amazon.com at the link below.
A Familiar Fate by Hope McLaren

No comments:

Post a Comment