Friday, July 12, 2013

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum



Rating:  4 out of 5 stars.

Synopsis:
The enduring children's tale of Dorothy and her little dog who were swept away from their home in Kansas and placed within a magical realm. After the house lands on the Wicked Witch of the East, Dorothy is informed that her only way of getting home resides in the hands of the Great Wizard of Oz who is ruling over the people of the Emerald City. She and Toto set off on their journey to the city of green and meet three companions along the way who help her in times of trouble. Throughout her walk to the Emerald City and her secondary journey home, Dorothy is faced with the many challenges, twists and turns.

Review:
Okay, I admit it. I loved this story as a child and as an adult, the story is still one of my all-time favorites to read. Every now and again, I pick up the book and remind myself of the way things used to be in times now long past. The writing style is easy, descriptive and engaging enough to keep a child's attention and yet delight an adult at the same time. While the film a beloved classic, the original story has a lot more action and adventure within its covers that entices the child (and adult) to use their imagination. The dialogue is written in such a way that the child can understand without much explanation. This book is a must-read on many nighttime story lists.

Rereading this classic brought back many memories from my childhood. My grandmother used to have me curl up in her lap with my head on her shoulder as she would read to me. It's more than likely the very reason why I am so attached to words, stories, and books! This is just the first in a series of books about Oz so there are many more adventures to be enjoyed. If you are looking for a great addition to your child's bedtime reading list, consider this for ages 6 and up.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum can be found in hardback, paperback, audiobook and Kindle forms in many major retailers both online and off. It can be purchased from Amazon.com at the link below.
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

No comments:

Post a Comment