Sunday, November 2, 2014

November's Hopes and Dreams

Oh, yeah! It's NaNoWriMo time!

November is such a bittersweet month for me. There are quite a few personal tragedies that make getting through the month hard in a number of ways. Though many say that time heals, I haven't found that statement to be accurate as of yet. So, I've learned to distract myself through projects such as NaNoWriMo or the Brown-Brooks Project, which is currently making afghans for the residents of a local nursing home.

However, doing NaNoWriMo hasn't always been a positive distraction. Because I was working on a manuscript during the time in which I lost someone very close to me, it took a few years before I began to pick up the pen and write again. Using the computer to write didn't help either. I felt stuck behind this huge brick wall with a flashing neon light. The message it kept delievering? You can't do this. You can't do this.

Over and over, I saw this until I actually believed it to be true. My writing wasn't going anywhere anyway. I had one poem published in a vanity press collection. What kind of writer doesn't get published? I would jot down beginnings of stories, half-written poems or just names and descriptions of characters. Nothing changed until 2012. Something clicked inside me and a story came tumbling out. I thought it would be something to do with the loss I was feeling, but it was something else entirely. Winning NaNoWriMo in 2012 gave me the push I needed to continue looking into other things such as a local writing conference and getting a few articles published in a local literary magazine.

All it takes is a step out of that comfort zone. No matter the big, neon signs saying negative things. No matter the unsettling feelings that taking the step brings with it. You can take that step toward making your dream come true. Whether it's writing a novel or becoming a recording artist, you have take those first steps. Conquer the brick walls in your way and keep moving forward.

Anyone else out there doing NaNoWriMo this year? How's it going so far?  I know it's only a couple of days into the month. Should have about 3000 words by now. Let's do this together!

Until next time,
Kay B


No comments:

Post a Comment