Monday, March 10, 2014

Joe Victim: A Thriller by Paul Cleave


Release Date: September 3, 2013
Publisher: Atria Books

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Synopsis:
Joe Middleton had the best weekend until he went home to feed his fish. Then his life took a horrible turn. First, he was shot. Then people began accusing him of murders he knew nothing about. Once he landed in jail, his troubles continued as both people inside and outside wanted him dead.

Along the way, former detective, Carl Schroder, made it his mission to make sure Joe never leave jail unless it was in a body bag. No longer working for the force, he found work with a local television show, The Cleaner. A way to merely pay the bills, the job brought him full circle to cross paths with Joe once more.

Review:
I bought this book shortly after reading Cemetery Lake. At the time, I didn't know there were a few books to read before this one. Even though each of the author's books are interconnected, they each stand alone in a brilliant way. Events from the previous books are given throughout the current one but it's only enough to explain something and wet your appetite for the previous titles. I really wish I could own all of them to read them in order. One day I will but for now, I'm glad I read Joe Victim.

Many of the characters are ones that were introduced throughout the other books and yet, they're given a sort of second introduction as they come into play. Previous crimes were referenced and explained when necessary. Even without reading the other books, there was plenty of murder, mayhem, emotion and vengeance in this book to satisfy any and all thriller/mystery needs. I truly loved how every one of the characters were human. They were both parts good and evil - though some were more evil than good. It made them seem real, almost making the book seem like a tv show or movie instead of a book.

The action started out strong and almost kept steady throughout the entire book. I felt there were a few places were the pacing lulled and for me, it was understandable given what was occurring in that particular part of the book. Since the book was written from the point-of-view of several characters, I was privy to information that some of the other characters weren't. Many times I wanted to shake some sense in a few, smack a couple of others and shield some when necessary. Of course, that's a sign of a good book - when the reader becomes invested within a book to the point that they experience the highs and lows alongside the character.

A lot answers were weaved throughout the story. Some were hidden and I had to go back in order to find them. Many were thrown at me with little time to absorb them before the next turn of events. It was definitely a book filled with highs and lows. I was shocked to find a few things out and felt happy at others. Just when I thought I knew how it was going to end, a last minute curve ball knocked everything out of place. I don't know if this is the end of Joe and Christchurch, but oh man, I can't wait for the next book to find out! If you're looking for a thrill ride of a crime spree mixed with a bit of love and darkness, check this book (or any of Cleave's books) out.

Joe Victim: A Thriller by Paul Cleave is currently available in both Kindle and paperback formats. To purchase a copy from Amazon, please click the link provided below.
Joe Victime: A Thriller by Paul Cleave


No comments:

Post a Comment