Friday, January 3, 2014

Ten Tiny Breaths: A Novel (Ten Tiny Breaths #1) by K.A. Tucker


Release Date: February 12, 2013
Publisher: Atria Books
Series: Ten Tiny Breaths

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Synopsis:
Kacey Cleary thought she had it all figured out. Four years after a devastating crash took the lives of her parents, best friend and boyfriend, she held herself together in order to care for her younger sister, Livvie. They made the move to Miami to bury the past and start a new life.

Within weeks the carefully constructed facade began to crumble as Kacey noticed chinks in her armor. People began to worm their way into her heart. For Kacey, that can only spell trouble, but she can't stop herself from falling. Can she survive without facing the past? What will she do when the past no longer wants to stay buried?

Review:
Okay, I'll confess. I heard the buzz about this book while surfing around on Goodreads. When NetGalley had the book available, I requested to read it and was accepted. Truthfully, I was a little nervous of what to expect because I have only read a handful of YA and NA titles to date. Despite my reservations, this book turned out to be dramatically good book.

Firstly, all of the characters were flawed. Not just the main characters, as one expects in many books nowadays, but each and every one of them had their own pronounced flaw. We, the readers, knew right away that Kacey was intensely troubled by the events of her past and the issues that surround her in the present. Her sister, Livvie, took a little longer to show her flaw - her goodness. She was so caring, trustworthy and good that it becomes a fault. She needed the connections with others in order to thrive. Some were too intense, too superficial, too unconventional or simply made bad choices.

Coming in under 300 pages, the book is a quick read. It was hard to stop reading at the end of the page, or even a chapter, when the events of the book kept pushing forward to the climax of the story. By the time I hit the twist in the book, I was already caught up in the emotions of Kacey that I felt anxious for her. When the truth was revealed, my heart sank. I wanted to help make things better but all I could do was turn the page to see what else was coming her way. Needless to say, if you have important things to do, wait until you have them finished before picking up this book.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It felt like the story had a grip on me that wouldn't ease until I reached the epilogue. Though the ending was about what I had expected, it still provided the perfect ending to the whole of Kacey's story. Buried beneath and within the words of the story was the cautionary tale of not drinking and getting behind the wheel of a vehicle. Period. I have to give the author much respect for pointing out the damage done to each side when an event such as an accident happens. If you're looking for something to sink its claws into you and lead you through a roller coaster of emotions, I would most definitely buy this book.


Ten Tiny Breaths: A Novel (Ten Tiny Breaths #1) by K.A. Tucker is currently available at many retailers in paperback, Kindle or audiobook editions. You can purchase a copy from Amazon by clicking the link below.
Ten Tiny Breaths: A Novel (Ten Tiny Breaths #1) by K.A. Tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment