Sunday, August 4, 2013

August's Hopes and Dreams

Wow! Is it really August already? Where the heck did the summer go?

It almost always surprises me how quickly the last half of the year seems to zoom by while the beginning appears to drag its feet. I'm actually grateful that the last bit of July and these first few days of August have been unseasonably cool. It's been a blessing for me in a lot of ways. Cooler temperatures around here generally means lower humidity. That allows my breathing to be less labored and my dependence on medication drops to more manageable and diserable levels. Let's just say, I won't have to lug a couple dozen pill bottles and various breathing apparatuses around with me just to go to the store!

The past few months haven't been all bad. Having been able to read some really good books has brightened my days more than I had imagined when I began this journey. I've always been a bookworm but this blog has allowed me to really explore books that I might have otherwise not read. If I'm to be completely honest, I almost never read romance novels unless they were the only option available. I just never really saw their appeal. Though I'm not a complete, avid fan of the genre, I do appreciate a well written romance novel now and again. Not to mention, I've found that not all government/conspiracy thrillers are poorly put together either. Historical fiction has been another genre that I've struggled with in the past. Now, they aren't so difficult to wade through - even if they aren't well-written.

Honestly, I believe that broadening my reading horizons has also helped my writing. I feel more relaxed in letting the words flow through my fingers. Hitting the backspace has become less frequent as I put everything down to go back through it later. Does this mean that I'll become the next J.K. Rowling or Stephen King? Probably not, but as long as I fulfill the calling within my heart, I'll be happy. Isn't that what life is all about anyway?

I'm sure you've noticed the changes in some of the reviews as of late. Still trying to find my exact voice in them, I have been visiting other blogs and seeing what publishers/readers want to know most from a book review. Therefore, I'm still finding my footing and playing with the format of the reviews somewhat. Please hang in there with me! I'll get it right eventually. It's my wish that this month brings more reviews and more exciting books!

Thank you for coming along with the ride!
Until next time,
Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment