Friday, May 24, 2013

Synthetic: Rise of the Siren by Shonna Wright

Rating:  4 out of 5 stars.

Synopsis:
Kora is an expert in synthesizing creatures, real or imagined but she has a rule that she follows, no matter the cost. She refuses to create a vampire - period. While kept locked inside her laboratory, Kora was commissioned to create her greatest synthetic yet, Siren. The creature is beautiful beyond words and soon becomes wanted by a very wealthy client that Kora's boss cannot refuse. The Siren, along with Kora and her faithful squid companion, are whisked away to the home of the client. It is then that the truth behind the commission is revealed to Kora's horror. She must make her prized creation into a vampire or risk never leaving the grounds alive again.

In the midst of this turmoil, forgotten memories and familiar faces beg Kora to remember events best kept buried. She races to find the answers behind all of her questions while trying to save herself, the Siren and many more who come to depend on her.


Review:
Okay, I admit that when I saw that this was another new take on vampires, I inwardly groaned. No, I'm not a fan of a certain trilogy no matter how many chances I'm begged to give it. I pushed myself to give this book a chance. That was a very good decision on my part. The book doesn't try to change the vampire mythos or pretend to be some lost knowledge. Since the vampires are scientifically created, it would not be difficult to imagine that they are somewhat different than what is commonly thought of as a traditional vampire. It was refreshing to see a different way of looking at vampires, to be honest.

The cast of characters in the book also plays a big part in my enjoyment of the book. Each definitely had their own personality. Some I despised and some I felt drawn to almost immediately. I liked how the author wove several smaller storylines into the large storyline and created a fairly good read that kept me entertained for quite a while. If you're up for something a bit out of the ordinary, you should definitely consider picking this book.

Synthetic: Rise of the Siren is currently available in Kindle form. It can be found at Amazon.com at the link below.
Synthetic: Rise of the Siren by Shonna Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment